The ReadStick is an English only Reading Machine that is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.
It includes a mini retractable mouse that is used to scroll through and select commands from a Command Menu and a set of 3.5mm audio earbuds to hear the Text To Speech output from the OCR engine.
The ReadStick also includes a TopOCR Reader Document Camera for image scanning that plugs directly into a USB 3.0 port on its right side.
The ReadStick 's OCR performance is comparable in speed to a desktop PC with an average reading speed of just a few seconds per page! However, the ReadStick uses much less power than any PC. You could use the ReadStick several hours per day for a month and only use a few cents worth of electricity! In addition, the ReadStick doesn't have all the maintenance and accessibility issues that you would have to cope with when using a PC or smartphone.
Although the ReadStick doesn't require a display to operate, you can optionally connect the ReadStick to any HDMI monitor or TV using the ReadStick's HDMI port located at the top of the ReadStick. Simply plug the included HDMI cable into your TV or monitor and then connect it to the ReadStick. This would allow you to view and scroll through an enhanced magnified image from the Document Camera on your TV or video monitor while you listen to it being read to you.
The ReadStick is normally AC powered, but it can also be powered with a smart phone power bank that you can buy for under $30 which will be able to power the system all day!
Please note that the ReadStick doesn't require or ever use a network connection.
All OCR is done directly on the ReadStick and NOT through a cloud interface.
The ReadStick is a licensed Win10 device, and includes the Windows© license key.
Easy to Setup and Operate - No Software Installation or Configuration Required!
- Plug the power adapter into an AC power socket and the adapter output cable into the Type C USB connector on the bottom of the ReadStick
- Plug the 3.5mm audio headset into the left side of the ReadStick
- Plug the USB 2.0 connector cable into the document camera and into a usb connector on the right side of the ReadStick
- Plug in the mini-retractable mouse into the second usb connector on the right side of the ReadStick
Now, all you have to do is turn the unit's power on by pressing the power button on the right side of the ReadStick. You will get immediate audio feedback that the unit is on. The ReadStick will announce through the earbuds that it is "Ready" for scanning after about 20 seconds from power on. At this point, all you would need to do to scan an image is simply press the left mouse button.
Microsoft Seeing AI OCR
The ReadStick is powered by the "Seeing AI" OCR engine.
This a VERY fast and VERY accurate OCR engine from Microsoft©.
We have combined it with our own multi-core image processing and document layout analysis front-end to yield one of the fastest and most accurate OCR systems that there is for use with document cameras.
Since this system executes directly on the device and not through a cloud interface you do NOT need a network connection for it to operate.
ReadStick Menu and Mouse UI
The ReadStick mini retractable mouse has the standard left and right mouse button and vertical scroll wheel.
You can move the scroll wheel up or down to scroll through the Command Menu shown below.
You can select the command you just scrolled to with the left mouse button, or pause/resume the Text To Speech with the right mouse button. These two buttons and the menu scroll wheel plus the power button are the entire operating interface to the ReadStick!
ReadStick Command Menu
- Scan an image from the document camera, OCR the image, and read the OCR Output
- Convert the OCR Text To Speech to an MP3 audio file and copy it to an MP3 player plugged into the ReadStick
- Select Operating Mode - Standard, Straighten Columns, Neural Warp, Turbo Mode
- Select Capture Delay Timer for Image Capture - Default is 10 seconds
- Select Volume - select the volume of the voice
- Turn ON/OFF "Debug Mode"
- Turn On/Off Super Resolution Mode
- Audio and Screen Help Information
- Scroll scanned image UP
- Scroll scanned image DOWN
- Scroll scanned image LEFT
- Scroll scanned image RIGHT
All of the ReadStick Menu Commands provide audio feeback during operation.